Sea Grant of the University of Hawaii-Manoa is tracking high water events in May, June and July known as King Tide.
Dates and times of predicted high water by town and island may be found at the following link.
In May, high water covered all of the rock walls edging Waihonu, the pond at the heart of Lili`uokalani Gardens bounded by Banyan Drive and Lihiwai Street. Many paths were underwater. Stone lanterns appeared to be floating. And the fishermen were out in force.
June King Tide dates are Friday and Saturday, June 23 and 24.
In May, more than 3,000 images were submitted to the Sea Grant by 1,300 photographers statewide to a free and publicly accessible database. Here are instructions for how to submit photographs during June and July high tide events.
How To Participate
Your images and data are significant contributions to the community efforts to understand and adapt to rising seas.
STEP 1: JOIN THE HAWAII AND PACIFIC ISLANDS KING TIDES DATA SET
- Go to: https://getliquid.io/home
- Go to search bar, type in “King Tide”:
- Click on the box you see that says “Hawaii and Pacific Islands King Tides Project”:
- Click “Join this Dataset” (upper right hand blue box)
STEP 2: DOWNLOAD THE APP
- Go to App Store (iPhone) or Google Play (Android)
- The name of the app for iPhone is “liquid mobile data collection” for Android “Liquid Field Notes”. Both versions are free
- Once you download and open the app, it will take you to a login page
- Use the login you just created for the Liquid website
STEP 3: ENTER DATA
- Select “new record”
- Press the arrow icon to access latitude and longitude from your smartphone’s GPS
- Take a photo using the camera icon on the data entry form
- Fill in all required data
- Press “Submit”
- No smartphone? No problem! You can easily take photos using a digital camera and upload them to the dataset from your computer. After you set up your Liquid account and join the “Hawaii and Pacific Islands King Tides Project” dataset (see Step 1), select the option “add record.” You can then use the camera icon to upload each photo from your computer, fill in all required data, and press “submit”
Please follow the instructions in the linked PDF here and view this video tutorial to learn how to register for the data set and submit records.